Thursday, May 14, 2009

mango


Being in the tropics, my own region (Kerala) has its share of flora & fauna. The fruits produced in our region are mango, pinapple, banana, gauva, coconut, cashew-fruit, jack-fruit ,papaya - just to name the few! My favourite fruit apple ofcourse does not feature in them. But one could hardly imagine having apples at the height of summer. I believe in having something that nature naturally gives you.
Mango is the king of fruits as far as my region is concerned. It dominates the market in most part of the year - from March to September. And during the peak season, a vareity of mangoes of all shapes and sizes floods to the market. They influence the local cuisine too. The raw-mango added fish-curry is a popular one. So is mango-curry itself, but with a sweet & sour taste. Mango-pickles,mango-lassi,mango-halwa,mango-icecream are other specialities.
To beat the heat, I mix mango-slices along with pappaya,orange, banana to make a salad and top it with ice-cream, preferably butterscotch. I am not including any recipes here as I am still at an 'experimental-stage'. I like to experiment with various deserts, shakes and cocktails. Perhaps I got the habit from my stay in Malaysia. They are great experimenters with their cuisine. Besides,our family are traditionally bakers.I would like include recipe of a very easy-to-make pudding - a sort of 'pudding for dummies': Take slices of plum-cake and desolve into the desert-bowl. Then add ice-cream and mix it with a spoon. There you have it ! A wonderfull, instant pudding !

No comments:

Post a Comment