Monday, July 6, 2009

POP-ICON

For all these years, I have enjoyed music and performances of Michael Jackson but cared little about his personnel details. Now his untimely death and the subsequent media-frenzy has enabled me to know more about the enigmatic star. For instance I did not know that he was a virgo. Like all virgos, he's sensitive, sympathetic and sensual. But for a true music-lover his creative outpour that mattered the most. As for those interested more on his personnel life,it is their problem. And more enigmatic and reclusive the star, more the media scrutiny. MJ was very much a product of his times- the rebellious 70-s and it is unlikely that the current generation could easily identify with his life's struggles.

I discovered MJ rather late - ie. during the teen-years. Many fans have been saying the past week or so, 'I grew up with Michael Jackson's music' . The same cannot be said in my case. For me ABBA and to some extent Boney-M fills that place.But to compare a music-troupe like ABBA with the one-man troupe of Michael Jackson (except his early years) will be unfair.The former held its sway only for a decade while the later's career was stretched overa span of 4-decades. MJ was a prodigy who started early (and burned out early).Michael Jackson's style of music - a blend of rock,pop and R&B -refuse to become out-dated.Many music-styles have come and gone but MJ's style always with stood the test of times.
In the early 80's,I had only vague memories of his super-hit 'Thriller'. By mid 80's I became familiar with some of those hits but still did not know the singer. And finally I got familiar with his name, I often confuse it with another Michael - ie. George Michael who was also equally popular. Then came out the album 'Bad'(1987). My friend went ga-ga over it and even gave me its audio-cassette to listen for a few days. I liked it and even got it recorded into my tape (which I still have with me). Thus begin my love-affair with the king of pop.. Next year, he recieved the Grammy and also gave some memorable stage performances, which I watched live on TV. I remember my father then asking me,'who is she ?'
The same year I came across the lyrics of 'Bad' album in a magazine.On the top of it was clearly written,' lyrics by Michael Jackson'. Then only I knew that MJ wrote almost all his lyrics and even composed it himself. Now I looked at him as more than a singer and performer. For someone who used to the standard bollywood custom where lyrics, composition, singing, choregraphy, performing all are done by different hand-picked individualS, Michael Jackson's was truly a one-man show ! And what a spectacular show those were !
Now his show has finally come to an end. The star has vanished. It ended the way he staged it - enigmatically and mysteriouslly. It was like a broadway-show that conducted uninterruptedly for many years, mesmerising the audiences and finally calls it a day. As the curtain comes down, what remains is a retrospective of old moments -thanks to the media. But it will not late while the audience realise with regret that all good things come to an end. Still some allege that his creative powers are only the out-come of drug-abuse which is baseless. The vice-versa is more true though drug-abuse is hardly a justification. MJ was many things roled into one which needed a super-human effort to sustain. Perhaps he took the wrong route.
Even the harshest critics will agree that Mike Tyson, despite his madness on and off the ring, is one of the greatest boxers of all time. Similarly, despite all his eccentricities Michael Jackson ,for a long time to come,will remain the undisptuted 'King of pop' .




No comments:

Post a Comment