Wednesday, October 21, 2009

kabsa


It was while living in Saudi Arabia 2-years ago I discovered this brilliant Arabic cuisine called Kabsa. The very mention of it brings water into my mouth. I was in Saudi as an under-study, to help out my uncle who is in the heavy-industries business.
Saudi Arabia is a country which stands half in medieval-times and half in modern-times. Much of the 21-st century leisure activities are taboo or unheard of in this ultra- conservative country. (Though there are efforts of late to change it but it will be a slow process.) Like all tribal communities, in Saudi too , eating (feasting) is a leisure activity as singing & dancing (strictly for men). And the dish which all Saudis (and the expatriates) like is Kabsa.

'Kabsa' is considered the national dish of Saudi Arabia but its origin not Arabian. Atleast that's what my hosts told me. After all, the main dish in the whole of Arabia consists of Quboos (wheat-bread), dates and meat (washed down with some camel-milk). But 'Kabsa' is a rice-based cuisine much like Biryani of the sub-continent. Therefore the origin of kabsa could be either central-asian or turkish. Or like itsmany ingrediants, Kabsa may have born out a mixture of various cultures.
Whatever be its origin , it is now a familiar sight in Saudi where gents sit in a circle (like they do in the deserts). If they are laidback and chatting, they will have black-tea. If they are leaning forward and busily engaged in the large bowl in front of them, then they are having 'kabsa'.

Despite my high-profile job including a spacious office, I do not regret leaving this boring, medieval country for good. Unless you are an expatriate whose sole aim is to make pot full of money, there is nothing else - particularly for anyone with an artistic & creative mind. Even though my employers greatly miss me (and I greatly miss them) so I am not keen to return .I feel I would rather be at home in a futuristic, hi-tech utopia than a medieval dystopia.
But I greatly miss one of my most favourite dishes - Kabsa !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment