Sunday, December 18, 2011

Dev Ananad : a journalist remembers

Ten things you didn’t know about Dev Anand
Rubina A.Khan about the legend in her article in firstpost.com

I’ve had the rare honour of knowing a legend like Dev Anand personally over the years, way before I was a journalist. I have spent many an early evening with him at his office on Pali Hill, listening to the glorious history of his life, first hand. As I would walk up the hardwood stairs leading up into his office, he would say, “Come in Rubina! The door is open” even before I’d reached the door. It was surreal sometimes that Dev Saab knew my name and addressed me by it! My grandparents, huge fans of Dev Saab, were suitably impressed that the great actor gave me an audience, not once, but on many occasions. My grandfather would actually think I was pulling a bluff when I’d say I was going across to meet him. Had there been Twitter and Facebook back then, I would have been spared some of the sardonic wit of my grandfather, with my pictures and status updates doing all the talking. He would often wonder, aloud mostly, what in the world Dev Saab would want to meet me for. It was simple – Dev Saab’s desire to feel and see the world through younger people and interact with the real world outside was insatiable.

He was not one of those stars who liked to live in their own world, without an inkling of outside realities. He would ask questions about the Internet, the way we communicate, write, think, what we read… everything about a generation he didn’t belong to biologically, but in spirit, was younger than most teenagers at the time. His optimism, enthusiasm and zest for life was awe-inspiring, and I remember leaving his office feeling invincible every single time. Also, the fact that I’d just had a conversation over popcorn and sookha bhel with one of the greatest actors in Indian cinema left an indelible high on my soul each time. Our ages never came in the way of our life exchanges, if anything, it was comforting to think of him as a friend, even though he was closer to my grandparents age than mine. I met Dev Saab as a star, completely struck by his charm and polite demeanour and got to know him as a person subsequently – one that I would like to describe as one of the most honest and clean souls in the world, aside from a very talented actor and super star. I learnt a lot from him. RIP Dev Saab!

Some things I observed about him, which are not known to many, are listed here:
1. He picked up his office phone himself and greeted you with the most charming Hello.
2. He never forgot anyone’s name once he’d met and interacted with them.
3. Birthday flowers along with a personal note was protocol for his friends and family.
4. He liked soft lights in his office, which was a penthouse on 42, Pali Hill, Bandra, situated above his dubbing studio, Anand Recording Studio.
5. The penthouse was covered from floor to ceiling with a vast collection of books and scripts with just enough space for his couch, which incidentally was his favourite spot in the room.
6. Soup was his preferred dinner as he was a very spartan eater and his favourite snack was a bowl of unsalted and unbuttered popcorn.
7. He never gossiped about people – always analysed things and deconstructed them, never degrading anyone in the process.
8. He wasn’t a big spender.
9. He always invited people to his parties personally over the telephone, which was then followed by a formal invite.
10. He was an extremely well read and articulate man and could converse on any subject with as much ease as films and filmmaking.

courtesy : www.firstpost.com

No comments:

Post a Comment